Argos recently asked me if I have any fun ways to get the whole family cleaning.
I have two boys who love being outside playing games in the mud, and a DIY mad man living with me. This means that cleaning has to be an organised, and constant thing. I’ve found getting the whole family cleaning is the key to keeping things clean, and making it fun is essential.
In the past we didn’t have much of a routine, and this meant the house was often a mess, embarrassingly so if anyone popped over unannounced – unannounced visits should be banned in my eyes by the way! However, now that I work from home, if there is mess it is looking at me all day.
Since I have a lot less time for cleaning, I need help around the house more. This help used to be given unwillingly and sparingly, but I’ve found a few ways to make cleaning more fun for everyone, to get it done a lot more quickly, keep it fair and minimise the grumbles.
Music – Personally I think most things are better with music, other than trying to watch the television and sleeping of course! I find putting music on and dancing as you clean makes the time go faster and even the cleaning go faster.
Turn it in to a game – I quite often challenge my boys, can they empty the washing machine in to the tumble dryer faster than I can load or unload the dishwasher. I have competitive children, so this ‘game’ works every time.
Rewards – The boys do have pocket-money, but they earn it through helping out around the house. Their money means more to them because they have earned it, and they are constantly volunteering for jobs around the house – especially when there’s a new video game coming out!
There are also family fun rewards though, such as if we all get the lounge spotless, we can then have a dvd and popcorn afternoon or have a board game afternoon together. Plus days out, the more they help around the house, the more fun days out we have as a family as a reward.
Letting them feel grown up – As well as making cleaning fun, I think it’s important to teach children life skills and how to look after their home. Obviously it depends on the age of the child how much they can do, but assigning tasks to them can make them feel grown up and important, which is lovely and fun for most children.
I used to love letting my boys stand on a stool when they were little and do the washing up. Admittedly it took three times as long as normal and we all ended up a lot wetter, but they loved doing it. Also hoovering is something most children love to do, and something that feels like a grown-up task to them.
Turn it into a treasure hunt – Hide something in the house, this can be a treat for them or just something random to find – then write a few clues quickly on pieces of paper to pop around the house. With each household chore they complete, they gain the next clue.
This is a great way to get the house clean together in a fun way, but also to keep them busy and productive on a rainy day. Rainy day boredom is usually asking for arguments to happen, so this works really well as a distraction. If you save the plastic eggs from inside a kinder egg they make great storage pots for small ‘treasures’.
What fun ways do you get the family cleaning with you?
If you share an image on social media with the hashtag #CleaningWithKidsComp of your family fun cleaning routine, then the lovely people at Argos have offered a £250 Argos Voucher as a competition prize! To make sure I don’t miss your entries, feel free to comment below with the url link to your image entry and do check out the competition Terms and Conditions in the blue box at the end of this post.
Myself and 2 other bloggers will be choosing our favourite image out of all of the entries, and then an independent judge will decide who wins the £250 voucher after the competition closes to new entries on 23rd April 2016.
Also be sure to tag @Argos_Online and @Stevie_Couch on Twitter and you might just get a retweet :)
* In collaboration with Argos, but all thoughts opinions and ideas are my own and honest*
Competition Terms and Conditions:
By participating in the #CleaningWithKidsComp competition you are deemed to accept these terms and conditions.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person
- The competition is open to UK residents, except employees of Home Retail Group.
4. The prize is as follows: £250 [two hundred fifty] Argos vouchers to be redeemed against a Floor-care product on the Argos website. Subject to availability.
- The winner will be asked to provide their name and contact details.
- The information you provide here will be safeguarded under the Data Protection Act and controlled by Home Retail Group.
- The competition runs from 23/03/2016 to 23/04/2016.
- Argos will notify the winner by email within 14 days after the competition closing date.
- The winning entry will be selected by an independent judge based on criteria including creativity and quality. The judge’s decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- No cash alternatives will be substituted for the prize. The promoter reserves the right to offer alternative items/activities of a greater or equivalent value should unforeseen circumstances require it.
- Entries submitted before or after the entry period will not be eligible.
- Use of a false name or address will disqualify any applicant from receiving the prize.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- Any entries attempted through the use of agencies or robotic, repetitive, programmed, or similar methods will be void.
15. If the prize is not claimed within 28 days, we reserve the right to redraw.
16. The promoter reserves the right to (a) add to or waive any rules on reasonable notice (b) reserve the right to alter, amend or foreclose the competition without prior notice.
17. The winner may be required to participate in post-event publicity arranged by or on behalf of the promoter.
18. Promoted by Argos Distributors Limited, 489-499 Avebury Boulevard, Saxon Gate West, Milton Keynes, MK9 2NW.
**To comment on this blog you do not need to leave your name, email address or website if you don't wish to. Any information entered will remain private and will not be shared with anyone other than the site owner.