What You Can do to Make Your Children Safer Tonight

 

Dramatic title I know – What You Can do to Make Your Children Safer Tonight. I wanted it to be attention grabbing with good reason, though.

 

The Electrical Safety First charity are trying to get the message out there to families, about the risks of charging electrical equipment overnight in children’s rooms. In particular, charging electrical equipment such as phones, tablets and handheld games whilst they are on a bed or similar type of surface.

 

Smartphone Charging

 

We all know that electronics heat up when they are used for a long time and often whilst charging, as we can feel it with our hands. However, you may not realise quite how dangerous this can be if you leave things charging overnight on anything other than a hard surface.

 

When you have electronics charging on a bed, fluffy carpet or similar type of surface, the heat from the item charging can’t easily dissipate. With it not being able to cool down easily, and getting hotter and hotter, there is a risk of fire. Obviously, the risk is there during the day as well, but overnight with everyone sleeping, the chances of you noticing quickly and before anyone is at risk are smaller.

 

Especially if it is the bed, that the charging item is on. Before Electrical Safety First contacted me, I was already careful about my own children charging things on their bed. However, this was due to me worrying about them kicking them off and breaking them in the night. I had no idea just how dangerous it can be.

 

 

I realised that although the boys’ phones and tablets weren’t charging on their beds, they were left on top of cuddly toys or on the thick carpet. After being contacted by Electrical Safety First, I am now making them be more careful where they charge their electronics. I am also now turning off all of their plug sockets in their room before I go to bed.

 

I feel happier knowing that I have protected them in this way, and I am so glad that we didn’t have to learn the hard way what a bad idea it was.

 

You can pop to the Electrical Safety First site, for tips on how to charge items safely and help to make your own children (and yourselves!) safer overnight.

 

A few key things to remember, though don’t let them sleep with their phone under their pillows even if they aren’t charging, only charge things on a hard surface, preferably charge them before you sleep, switch electronics off overnight and very importantly ONLY use branded safety checked chargers.

 

Please pass this message on to others, and stay safe.

 

Stevie x

I have not been paid in any way shape or form for this post, I have agreed to do it as I feel it is an important message to get out there.
**To comment on this blog you do not need to leave your name, email address or website if you don't wish to. Any information entered will remain private and will not be shared with anyone other than the site owner.
Share:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

19 Comments

  1. 6 October 2016 / 6:23 am

    My girls are not at an age yet to have tablets and phones. But I must admit my phone is normally on charge overnight on my chair in our bedroom. Sometimes I have sprawled my clothes over it!! I will stop doing that now, thanks for sharing Stevie x

  2. msedollyp
    6 October 2016 / 7:54 am

    My teen has just gone away to uni and i worry that she will do this, despite my nagging for the last few months!

  3. 7 October 2016 / 7:20 am

    I never charge things on a soft surface… or so I thought reading this, then I remembered the arm of the sofa is where my kindle sits pretty much every night… eeep. I will be sure as my boys get older to make sure their electricals are never left on beds etc. Thank you so much for the information! xx #picnmix

  4. 7 October 2016 / 10:14 am

    Oh my word this is such an important message. I even worry about leaving the baby monitor plugged into the girls bedroom plug socket. I hope everyone takes notice and is careful where they leave things that are charging.
    Nat.x

  5. 7 October 2016 / 12:20 pm

    Thanks Stevie, an important message like you say – good to share as even if we know this a little reminder never hurts! #piicknmix

  6. 7 October 2016 / 2:10 pm

    I heard about this a while a go, up until then I was charging my phone under my pillow every night! Now I know the dangers it is always on my bedside table, I’ll make sure when Leo is old enough he does the same xx #picknmix

  7. 7 October 2016 / 2:34 pm

    This is a very important post. Thanks for reminding us.
    #PicknMix

  8. 7 October 2016 / 3:23 pm

    This is a really great point, and something not a lot of people think about in too much detail so it’s great you’re using your platform to help out others and get the word around :) #PicknMix

  9. 7 October 2016 / 3:23 pm

    I recently read about charging phones causing house fires and now ensure that all products being charged are on a table away from the beds.

  10. 7 October 2016 / 7:57 pm

    This is very sensible advice. I have a tablet that simetimes gets quite hot when charging so now I only charge it when om in the same room. I have shared this post on twitter, google+, FB and stumbleupon xx #picknmix

  11. 7 October 2016 / 10:32 pm

    Really great advice – my iphone gets so hot when I charge it. I always charge it on a hard surface but never leave it on unattended. I have heard so many horror stories! #picknmix

  12. 8 October 2016 / 7:02 am

    Great advice. My kids are too young to have things charging in their room just yet but I have been guilty of doing this myself and always charge my phone over night, I’m going to have to rethink things now x
    #Picknmix

  13. 9 October 2016 / 9:16 pm

    I’d like to say that our rooms are charge free zones. Then there’s the hubby who likes to charge the mobile up so the alarm will go off in the morning! #PicknMix

  14. 9 October 2016 / 11:29 pm

    I must try to charge my appliances through the day from now on.

  15. 11 October 2016 / 12:32 pm

    Really good advice! I am always quite careful but will need to make sure I stay on top of this once little man gets older and has more devices #picknmix

  16. 13 October 2016 / 1:04 pm

    This is such an important message to spread! Luckily we don’t charge any devices in the boy’s bedroom currently but I am sure this will change when they are older. #PicknMix

  17. 13 October 2016 / 9:47 pm

    We have a night light and their grow clock plugged in over night and that’s it. Everything else is plugged in downstairs but it does make you think! So scary. xx