I love the Summer holidays, I get to spend more time than usual with my favourite mini men, I get to have lie-ins, we get to stay out late if we want to, and we get to have a lot of fun. As a quick and fun post today, I’m writing a Summer Bucket List to get me in the Summer mood since the boys finish school tomorrow!
Here’s a list of lots of the things that I want to do this Summer.
- Jump waves at the beach – the boys love doing this, and I’m usually a bit of a wimp with cold water and just watch, but this year I’m going to join in as there will only be a certain amount of years left where they still want to do this with me. If you plan to head to the beach, you may like to check out my Seaside safety post.
- Take them to Lanhydrock – we love Lanhydrock, which is part of the National Trust. They have a brilliant set of cycle trails and stunt areas that I want to take the boys back to, and we loved our last picnic there.
- Go to the cinema – we always try to go to the cinema in any school holidays, and I enjoy it so much more now that the boys are at an age where they like films that myself and Si like as well. Hoping there’s something good coming out as I haven’t checked yet!
- Go swimming – other than our recent swim during our stay at Hendra Holiday Park, we haven’t been swimming for ages, but during the Summer holidays we try to go quite a lot, and I enjoy it as much as they do. I taught both of them to swim, and I love how confident they are in the water.
- Make full use of our National Trust memberships – I already mentioned Lanhydrock above, but since we have the memberships and I need to try to budget a little over the holidays, we will be trying to focus a lot of days out around our memberships.
From picnics in the gardens to nosing around old houses, I’m sure this will keep us busy! The boys loved it when we used them at Arlington Court earlier this year, so I’m sure they’ll enjoy investigating more places.
- Fundraising – Fin has been struggling a little lately with his Type 1 Diabetes and feeling negative about it, but Si came up with the fabulous idea of being more proactive and getting Fin to do something positive. So we are going to set Fin a set of challenges via YouTube mostly and ask people to donate to JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation).
He’s excited about it already, and I will share some of it on here as well if anyone wants to help to support him and Harley who will no doubt be helping!
- Take the boys to Flambards – Fin was meant to go this week with school as a leaver’s treat but unfortunately was ill and so missed out, and Harley really wants to go. So I will definitely be trying to take them during the holidays.
- Meet up with friends for ‘play dates’ – we usually do this a couple of times in the holidays, but it’s always last-minute and this year I’m determined to be more organised and arrange some more.
- Actually read a book – I used to read all the time but the blog has taken over my spare time, so this Summer on a day when the boys are out playing I am going to actually curl up with a cup of tea and a book and relax for a change.
- Watch the rest of our Harry Potter Box set – the boys and I love Harry Potter, and hadn’t seen the films for a long time. I recently bought Fin the box set for his birthday, so we’ll be having some snuggly film days if it’s wet outside.
- Get organised for September – this isn’t such a fun one but very important. I have a new secondary school uniform to buy (gulp), football boots, new bags and their coats etc need updating as well.
It’ll be an expensive task, but I want to get it all sorted early on so that there are no last-minute panics.
- Go for a walk in the woods – the boys love climbing trees and getting dirty.
- Visit Waterstones book shop – the boys both received a book voucher from school as a reward for completing a reading challenge at school, and are already desperate to go spend them.
I love bookshops so will happily take them, and possibly do a little bit of shopping in Truro as a reward for myself for doing all the reading with them.
- Have as much fun as possible with my favourite people!
What have you got planned for the Summer holidays, anything exciting?